Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Random Afternoon Stuff

The fact I'm gone all day Saturday, working four hours tonight and have more reading and writing to do then I'd care to think about might limit blogging.

Might.

But for now, here's a couple quick hitters before I head off to class in five.

*

The BlogPoll is up over at MGO
. Notre Dame is a respectable 14th, which seems about right going into this weekend's game in West LaFayette.

*

I had to clean this up a lot, because Dill doesn't use capitalization or correct punctuation in any IM's, but I felt the world needed to see just how good Jason Bay was this season. I lost track when I came to school, but the Canadian anchoring left field for the battling Buccos apparently put together one hell of a season:

(Warning: This breaks down to random Pirate love, much like the voicemail I still have saved after we saw Revenge of the Sith when Dill compared that storyline to the entire Pirate pitching staff, accurately predicting that Zach Duke would become Luke Skywalker.)

I don't know if you know this, but Jason Bay is absolutely unbelievably freaking unbelievable. He went 2-4 with 4 RBI’s, raising his yearly totals to .307, 32 HR, 99 RBI (26 this month). He's also tied the record for stolen bases in a season without getting caught, and his next steal will put him at 22 straight for the year to break Kevin McReynolds 1988 record. He is no worse than 12th in the NL in all of the above categories.

When it all comes down to it, JASON BAY IS THE NEW DREAM. No more Carlos [Beltran, our old outfielder crush until he killed my fantasy team this year] Jason can do anything and everything. I didn't even mention that he's only committed 3 errors this year which is comparable to Andruw Jones and Ichiro's 2. SIGN HIM, SIGN HIM NOW PIRATES. EVEN IF HE GETS HURT LATER ON, IT WAS A GOOD SIGNING AND AT LEAST YOU TRIED!!! I LOVE JASON BAY!

Also, Jason is no worse than 14th among major league outfielders in runs, hits, doubles (which he leads), triples, HR, RBI, total bases, walks, strikeouts (wait that's bad), stolen bases, cs, OBP, slugging, average. He also has played more innings than any single player in baseball this year. THE NEW IRON MAN. Too bad the pirates weren't good because he really deserves MVP consideration this year, and probably should be it if the award is awarded for what its supposed to be awarded for, the most valuable player to his team instead of the stupid best player on a playoff team thing. Where would we be if we didn't have him? I don't want to think about it.




*

Katie and I didn't know what to think of this other than crazy-awesome-confusing. Discuss.

*

The Sports Guy, my favorite sportswriter, and Chuck Klosterman, author of the sensational Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, had a running e-mail discussion on Page 2 over the past two days. Lot random stuff in there - music, Face-Off, 80's NBA - but scroll down to Klosterman's last thought here.

I don't think so, but wouldn't it be nice?

No comments: