Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"Say what you will about Michael Scott, but he would never do that."

I realize I probably committed near-blasphemy earlier in the week when I said that How I Met Your Mother was about to pass The Office as the best comedy on television - especially since CBS doesn't feel fit to give HIMYM the post-Super Bowl spot - but then The New Yorker went and ran this must read on the differences between the British and American versions, and most importantly, between David Brent and Michael Scott. (HT: ALOTT5MA)

AlthoughI haven't seen the British version in some time, I really favor the American side of things because while it has its cringe-worthy moment, the heart shines through more often than not. David Brent going to the celebrity appearances after his firing is one of the most painful, awkward things on film, and no matter how well written and how well acted, it's not exactly comedy.


Let us not forget the best part of The Office...

No comments: