Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Much-Delayed and Overwhelmingly Disappointing Post (I'm Nothing If Not Honest)

Where do you want to start? Television? Film? Celebrity gossip? Awkward Miami Dolphins videos? I’m so excited right now I don’t even know where to begin, but we shall try…

“I'm madly in love with you, and it's not because of your brains or your personality.”: Caitlyn told me Little Miss Sunshine was the best movie she’d seen in years, so I probably should have been prepared for how good it was, but damn, that was some great stuff. Not very often does a dark comedy manage to pull at your heartstrings the way Sunshine did, all while interjecting moments of pure joy that fit so perfectly into the script. The characters in the movie are all deeply flawed, save for little Olive Hoover, but they were cast and played so well that you end up both rooting for and loving them all. Alan Arkin, Toni Collette, Greg Kinnear and Steve Carrell – who channeled bits of Michael Scott, but mainly crafted an original, more-intelligent character than the Dunder-Mifflin manager – all were great, as was whoever played the son, The Guy From The Girl Next Door (Paul Dano).

Just really great, and I can’t wait to see the Oscars snub it, then rationalize the choice by throwing it a Best Screenplay nomination. It’s worth mentioning, since Kinnear was so good in this movie as the motivational speaker/”You have to be a winner” guy, that although he plays a completely different character in The Matador that he’s equally fantastic. I meant to write about Pierce Brosnan’s great turn as a drunken, burnt-out hitman, but again, I’m so far behind on everything. It’s only about ninety minutes long and features only three real characters, but my uncle and I thoroughly enjoyed its well-woven twists and turns. Still, rent The Matador, which uses The Killer’s “All The Things I’ve Done” so perfectly for the finale I can’t express it via words. Worth your time.


“I know, you know, that I’m not telling the truth…:” Psych wrapped up its first season on Friday night, and even though some episodes were uneven and nearly all attractive women were femme fatales, the two lead characters – James Roday’s Sean and Dulé Hill’s Gus – are so freaking perfect together that you’d probably watch footage of them just telling stories for forty-two minutes. The crimes themselves didn’t make a whole lot of sense – the brother of a suicide victim faking other people’s suicides after they called into a hotline? – but if the USA Network wants to continue with their “Characters Welcome” slogan, then Psych certainly adds to their docket of interesting personalities.

And also, you can download the theme song – which is so damn catchy – by doing the right-click thing right here, courtesy of the Friendly Indians website.



“Whammy!”: I’ve been debating when we stop calling David Koechner “Champ from Anchorman” and start to use his real name, and I think that time is now. He was great in Thank You For Smoking, did some proper cameoing in Talladega Nights, guest-starred his ass off in a couple of Offices and then played the doomed copilot in Snakes on a Plane. If that’s not enough, Fametracker chose him over raisins in their most recent “Celebrity vs. Thing”.

David Koechner, consider your name added to my Word dictionary…and my heart.


I told you I had a lot of links, so consider yourself warned: In no particular order:

A Rainy Night in Georgia: Sweet Ray Charles song? Absolutely. Best summary of my weekend to be? No sir! Despite the fact Tropical Storm Ernesto is bearing down on the southeastern seaboard, the early weather reports for Saturday night in Atlanta are clear and b-e-a-utiful. I thought our game against GT would be turned into a poncho-heavy, muddy slugfest, but we’ll get to cheer on the Irish in Bobby Dodd Stadium in relatively perfect weather. Of course, things could change, but for now, things are looking very shiny.



Looking ahead to some autumn cinema: As bad as the summer was, there appear to be a slew of good movies on tap for the fall, including the majority of Oscar Bait. Still, I probably couldn’t be more excited for any movie than I am to see the feature-length Borat. Just to get you prepared, here’s “Throw The Jew Down The Well”. (And yes, if you search for this song on Ares, it will be there.)

~

That was rushed, wasn’t it? You could tell it was rushed, and it was more of a guilt-induced “I haven’t posted in a while” entry than something worthwhile. I humbly apologize for the lack of goodness, and hope the links to significantly better writers I gave you will help ease your procrastinating needs. But allow me to emphasize: Little Miss Sunshine, The Matador and Psych are all well-worth your time. Prison Break appears to be getting better after its disappointing season finale back in May. I loved the past season of The Real World and don’t care for the new Laguna Beach much at all. I’m so very excited for football season and this semester as a whole that you’re going to get some philosophical life waxing soon.

But to close, don’t think that my concentration on college football over at Rakes means I’m not excited for the Dolphins/Steelers game next Thursday. So far, I don’t think I’ll be missing any tests or anything, which is a good thing since I’m just blowing off that entire day. To get you excited, how about some early 90’s Dolphin promos?

(Sorry this was a shitty post. Hope this makes up for it.)

No comments: