Thursday, October 27, 2005

It's Been Too Long Ramblings

It’s been a while since a quality update. Yeah, I think the USC post was decent, and I enjoyed looking up pictures of Rachel Bilson for the State of The OC post, but I think it’s time for some quality ramblings. I don’t have anything coherent to say, as my brain is slowly starting to be worn down by the three English classes I’m in – we’re on Steinbeck, Hawthorne and Chaucer, and my head hurts – so let’s just stick with some ramblings.

*

If you were unawares, Jason from Laguna Beach is the freaking man. Well, was, the freaking man, but he’s somehow screwed up his chances with LC, who battles Kristin weekly for the “Whose Hotter?” honors. But for a two and a half episode period, all men were left to sit with mouth agape as a skeezily side-burned (Nicole is the only girl who will admit to thinking Jason is really cute), caveman-vocabulary surfer scores girl after girl by just looking at them. Sure, it makes you wonder how in the world Cami ended up as his prom date with such persuasive powers of seduction, but the man not only hooked up with LC, but put the most pathetic “Good Lord, my back-up plan is falling apart in front of me” look on Stephen’s face, and that’s always a good thing.

Three episodes of Laguna left. Embrace them.

*

So SI.com’s Dr. Z did a countdown of quarterbacks you’d want to start building a team around. Only one Manning made the list – Eli – to go along with two Falcon QB’s (Vick and Schaub), Lord Byron, Donovan n’ Daunte, The Golden Boy in Cinci, Big Ben and Tom Brady. Coming in at number seven on the list:

Brady Quinn.

This is getting ridiculous.

*

Finally got to see 40-Year Old Virgin over break, and it was definitely quality stuff. Not as good as Wedding Crashers, but the supporting cast around Steve Carrell was fantastic, and the dialogue was suitably vulgar. I wish I got to see more movies while at school, as the docket of films I need to see is getting longer and longer. Serenity, Two For The Money, Walk The Line, Jarhead, Wallace and Gromit, and I think I’m going to see Elizabethtown just to make fun of Orlando Bloom. I only know one person who saw it, Jess, and she gave it a solid “Ehhhh”.

*

For entertainment purposes, I just asked Nicole to describe Jason for me. This is what I got:

Mysterious, hard to tame, handsome, fun loving...Shall I continue?...Bad boy.

Valedictorian of West Shamokin Class of 2003 and double major at Pitt. Jason doesn’t know the power he has.

*

I’d talk about the BCS, but it would just get me really, really angry. I’m going to wait a few weeks, see if any of the undefeateds drop, and then set up my tournament. I swear, if I hear one more person say “Oh, it doesn’t matter that Texas jumped USC, because they’ll still play!” without mentioning that the system still doesn’t give Va Tech, UGA or Bama a shot, I’ll murder them.

Hokies against BC tonight on ESPN. Check out Marcus Vick, future Miami Dolphins quarterback, beginning the stretch run of his national championship/Heisman campaign.

*

What's odder: That I used the term "medieval pimp" in my Brit Lit midterm essay and got 40/40 on it, or that my 80-year old professor actually took the time write an emphatic Yes! with a circle around it.

*

If you're looking for the best reason to pick against the Phoenix Suns in this year's NBA, other than Amare being out, it's that this guy is starting for them, despite the curfew his parents are enforcing.

*

Good Angelina News: She’s probably going to be the next Bond girl, alongside Blog O’ Fun favorite Daniel Craig.

Bad Angelina News: She’s lending her voice to an animated adaptation of Beowulf, my least favorite book in the world, next to The Great Gatsby.

What could put her back over the top?



That’ll do it.

*

Indiana is trying to decide if they want to go with Eastern or Central time when they join the rest of the country and observe Daylight Savings, but I say why bother subjecting yourself to the time zones around you? Why not Pacific time? It only be a two hour difference, and would confuse my dad to no end, so I think that would be worth it.

*

Extended post coming tonight or tomorrow about Notre Dame basketball, the ticket distribution process and why I – along with many others – simply do not care any more. The blame will lie somewhere between Chris Thomas ruining all of our lives and ideas like “Late Night With The Legion”, which somehow make the ticket process more complicated and force people to a Midnight Madness-type event two hours early and two weeks too late.

Nice work, athletics department.

*

As far as 14-inning championship series games go, how bad was the game Tuesday night between Houston and Chicago? Congratulations to the White Sox for winning the Series with good defense, great pitching, fundamentals and clutch hitting – makes that Red Sox title look more and more like a fluke, aye? – but five hours with Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are about five hours too many. Plus, Houston is in the South, and therefore has countless gorgeous women. I’m sure at least one was at the game, yet FOX failed to find any of them when I started watching in the 8th inning. Poorly done.

*

Anytime a blog post sits on my laptop for over six hours without me adding anything to it, it gets posted. Time to watch Marcus and company, then Rachel in Red Eye. Happy Weekending all…

…but before I go, suggestions for off-the-map, or even on-the-map-but-underrated, horror movies for this weekend? By far, my favorite part of Halloween is the countless horror movie marathons on every station. Last year, Matt and I stumbled onto Wrong Turn, which almost didn't suck and featured the always-smoking Eliza Dushku. 10,000 Blog Points for the best horror movie suggestion this weekend.

No comments: